Monday, June 04, 2007

Garage Purge

We cleaned out our garage this weekend after seven years. We got rid of a lot of stuff we weren’t using, or was too small, broken…It felt good as we were doing it. Then we got in the truck to take some of the items to goodwill and the others to the dump.
Goodwill was packed, the woman who assisted us said they were full to the brim, she didn’t understand how people could have so much to give away when she couldn’t afford to buy most of it. I felt a bit disheartened and was able to empathize with her, then moved onto the dump.

The dump was quite an experience for me. I had never been…I wonder how many other people have never seen where their garbage ends up. I felt a bit disoriented and confused when my husband said just throw the stuff on the ground…I looked around and saw piles of stuff being covered by backhoes full of dirt…Our beautiful earth was being loaded down with our garbage, junk, plastic… As we left the dump the women said on Saturdays there are usually 500 loads dropped. That’s just Saturday! I left feeling dismayed, sad and confused.

After a couple of days processing and getting some support I sense a deeper awareness of how I want to be in regards to mindfulness to reduce, reuse, recycle and simplify and at the same time feel compassion for my need to buy for beauty, choice, play, adventure…

My intention is to be more aware of how I buy keeping in mind the whole earthly cost of what I do and perhaps most importantly forgive myself when I choose something that may not fit. If we each were willing to consider this I wonder what would shift…

What if anything would you consider doing differently? Today…

Lifecoaching for connection, balance and health!

Discover the Power of Choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home