Friday, April 27, 2007

"There is nothing like returning to a place unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have been altered" - Nelson Mandela

I recently returned from a visit to my mother. We had a lovely time, she has slowed down a lot so much of the time was peaceful and slow moving. One day we went out to lunch and then to a movie and the rest of the time was open to talk, read, walk...

I found myself noticing my need to relate a bit differently, wanting to connect in new ways and finding it a bit confusing sometimes.

When we have known someone a long time we often expect certain responses, comments...and conversations follow old familiar patterns. I spent time observing who I was being and sometimes enjoyed and other times was frustrated with the challenge of finding more of myself in the conversation. When I find more of myself I am more connected to others and have a deeper happiness in the moment.

I now can see one strategy that I didn't attempt was simply to share my awareness of my desire to communicate differently in order to connect more meaningfully and my confusion around how to do that. Sounds simple...

This week consider noticing what your patterns are like with people you've known a long time. Do you find yourself stuck in old ways of communicating?

What might you do or say differently in order to make a shift?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home