Tuesday, June 26, 2007

"You may find the worst enemy or best friend within yourself." English Proverb

How often are you your own best friend? For me it takes awareness and conscious choice to shift into friendly internal dialog. It takes remembering empathy.

I had a disagreement with my husband last night and in the moment I lost all of my compassionate communication skills. I watched myself go down my old path of blaming him and them blaming myself... As I was doing that I recognized the pain for what it was and shifted to self empathy.

I began saying you're okay, you did the best you could, I'm feeling sad and disappointed... and during that time I went and played frisbee with my son (met a need for fun, play and connection) and then watched a movie(met a need for ease and laughter).

It took paying really close attention to what I was saying to gently turn things around. Beating myself up, blaming him...was not going to make the situation get any better. Once triggered I need to care for myself, get some perspective and then either talk about it or let it go completely.

One way to be your own best friend is to learn to be compassionate with yourself. True, beautiful change and healing can emerge from there.

Notice your thoughts today and if the need arises practice some empathy!

Life Coaching for connection, balance and health.

Discover the Power of Choice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home