Friday, February 09, 2007

Tanzania

"What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." -John Ruskin

My oldest sister is in Tanzania right now volunteering for six weeks as a nurse. She is doing powerful work there and supporting these beautiful people in so many ways. When reading the above quote I thought of her. She has a lot of knowledge and opinions and beliefs and those all lead her to do her work now in a new and exciting way. You can feel her passion through her emails.

Here is one of my favorite quotes from her letters. "I met a local schoolteacher yesterday and she said that in the first grade they learn how to get along with others, address their elders and love each other. It a subject like Swahili or math...
They are too much." Diane D.

In Tanzania they are doing things differently than we do and I wonder about all of our doings here in America. Are we teaching our children to care, respect, and love one another?

That's what I want for our children and so I will continue to do my best to share and model those values.
How about you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home