Monday, August 21, 2006

Vacation

We just returned from a two week family vacation to Canada and Idaho. Saw some wonderful wildlife, hot springs, landscapes, and dear friends and family. I feel grateful for the two weeks as it seems to me it takes that much time to completely relax and be in what I call “whatever mode”. I didn’t need to be doing something wonderful or something I wanted every moment, just having long stretches of time to choose to do or not felt great.
My children got into a very relaxed rhythm and it was lovely to observe. Being outdoors more often felt delicious! We ended our trip backpacking near Ketchum, Idaho and the scenery is really quite spectacular there.
I spent a lot of time contemplating the awareness of who I was being as I was doing and recognized how challenging it can be. Yet what a profound difference it made when I was able to be completely present to something or someone. I wonder if that simple task is my most important work.

“Work is not always required…there is such a thing as sacred idleness, the cultivation of which is now fearfully neglected” -George Macdonald

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home