Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Listening in Coaching

I had some friends the other day share with me how much they liked my web site. They asked me a bit more about coaching and thought it would be helpful for me to explain two things in more depth.
The first is to let you know I coach over the phone as well as in person. I do most of my coaching on the phone, which means I coach locals as well as individuals from all over the U.S. My coach is from Australia!
Telecoaching has some wonderful benefits. It saves commute time, resources, and allows many people to experience coaching from their own home or office and to connect with a coach that meets your needs even if they don’t live near by.
The second topic is the key component of coaching, listening. In coaching school they call it “listening until you disappear”. Listening deeply to what the client says and reflecting it back to them supports you the client to find your own answers. It means when we are talking I am fully with you. Not thinking about how I need to respond or what the right answer or next question might be.
My goal is to listen so you hear your own answers and ask you questions to deepen the process.The coaching model is based on the belief that we all have our own answers. I’m sure many of you can remember a time when you have been fully listened to. You connected to that answer you were looking for. The “aha” moment when you said yes that’s it, that’s the direction I want to head or that’s the answer I was looking for. Coaching can then move into action, supporting you to map out your plans or goals and take steps to move you toward them. I will also assist you with accountability to the degree you need and want that. The coaching relationship is all about you the client and what your agenda and goals are. Any questions feel free to give me a call or send me an email.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home