Monday, February 13, 2006

Kurt Vonnegut

I just finished reading "A Man Without A Country".
Kurt Vonnegut wrote this book at the age of 82. He's seen a lot and he shares with an integrity and authenticity that is a bit painful for me. I know the pain will pass and I will be able to share with my voice what he has given me.
Here is a bit of what he says:

" Our children have inherited technologies whose byproducts, whether in war or peace, are rapidly destroying the whole planet as a breathable, drinkable system for supporting life of any kind.

Anyone who has studied science and talks to scientists notices that we are in terrible danger now. Human beings, past and present, have trashed the joint.

The biggest truth to face now-what is probably making me unfunny now for the rest of my life-is that I don't think people give a damn whether the planet goes or not. It seems to me as if everyone is living as members of Alcoholics Anonymous do, day by day. And a few more days will be enough. I know of very few people who are dreaming of a world for their grandchildren."--Kurt Vonnegut

I do dream for my grandchildren, I do so want my actions to reflect that dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home