Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Self-awareness

I was talking with my mother on Saturday, sharing my enthusiasm for my work. As I was explaining what I love about holding space for individuals to increase their self-awareness I was again reminded of one of the greatest gifts of working on yourself.

If we are looking inward to figure out the meaning of any situation that comes up in our life we are much less likely to judge, blame or resent others. If we’re curious about what is up for us we can give ourselves empathy, ask for what we need, or smile and let go of the outcome more often.

We not only give a gift to ourselves and the person right in front of us, we give a gift to the world because we have chosen a different feeling to explore, own and acknowledge. That feeling has an energy all its own. Once you acknowledge what is authentic you get to choose, in that moment, to be excited, joyful, surprised... at what you have just learned about you. Those feelings are what I want to spread around!!

Here are some questions for you to ask when you notice yourself moving into judgment or blame. "What is this about for me?", “ What am I feeling and needing?”, or stretch into, “What might they be feeling or needing?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home